Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Greenport Kayak Race




Well, next weekend I am trying something that I have never done before. I am taking a break from my travels and research for the book and have entered a kayak race. For those of you who know Long Island, this race starts in Orient Point and finishes in Greenport a bit more than 6 miles later. I am a bit nervous about what to expect but am always excited to add a new element to the sports I love. It should be a great day!

The race itself is to raise money to help with the implementation of a Water Nature Trail that circumnavigates Greenport. It seems like more and more of these "water trails" are popping up everywhere, and I, for one, am glad. Being an avid kayaker and a naturalist, I can really appreciate what these trails have to offer. I am sure this new one will not disappoint.

If you are as interested in Greenport's new trail as I am, you may want to check out the Coecles Harbor Marine Water Trail on nearby Shelter Island. This trail was designed by the Nature Conservancy to allow paddlers the chance to experience the beauty of their Mashomack Nature Preserve. Although I have not yet paddled this trail, I have heard nothing but great things about it.

Anyway, I will post some words and photos about my race next Saturday. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

bonnie said...

Hey, that one sounds great. Wish I could go. Thanks for posting the link on NYCKayaker and hey, when you're ready to write about Jamaica Bay, get in touch!

Kevin Stiegelmaier said...

Will do. I've been checking out your blog too. Great stuff! Like you, I'm a sailor as well as a kayaker. Instead of a "river rat" my wife refers to me as a "salty dog".