Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Backband Repair

So, I went out for a paddle the other day and was bummed to find out part of one ratchet on my backband had broken off.  As a result, the band would not stay where I wanted it to, obviously leading to a somewhat uncomfortable trip.
Broken Ratchet










 Thankfully the Immersion Research website had new backbands for sale, as well as replacement parts for original ones.  So, I took a chance, figuring I could fix it myself, and ordered two new ratchets (plus a t-shirt of course).  That was on a Friday.  Amazingly, the new parts were at my doorstep the very next Monday!

With the new ratchets in hand, the next step was to peel the neoprene cover back enough so that I could drill out the rivets holding the old ratchets in place. 
After drilling out the rivet
 Then, I used a stainless bolt, putting it through the hole in the ratchet, small washer, nylon strap, large washer, and backband, and threaded a stainless nut on the end.  Because some of the foam had been compressed by the nut, I cut some small pieces from old foam I had laying around and filled in the depression, covering it with a tiny bit of good 'ol duct tape.
Nut and bolt, as seen from the front

Foam patch and duct tape cover
All that was left was to pull the neoprene cover back over the band and put it back in my boat.  
 

My foam patch might be a bit too thick, but I was expecting it to compress a bit with use.  If it doesn't, I can always remove a bit of it and make it flush with the original foam.  Quite a nice fix if I do say so myself!



No comments: