Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Susquehanna

Although I have been enjoying the whole book writing process and have found something unique and inviting about every river I have paddled so far, a few rivers have stood out in my mind. One such river is the Susquehanna. I paddled some parts of it this past weekend and, in all honesty, I did not want my trips to end. The river was just that beautiful... just that fun... just that exciting.

I first put in at the public boat launch in the amazing little town of Cooperstown, on the shores of Otsego Lake. From there, I paddled down the Susquehanna 14 miles or so to the town of Milford. While there were tons of downed trees and strainers, sometimes leaving openings only inches wider than my boat, my whole paddle was great. The weather was gorgeous, the scenery was stunning, and the river had just enough water in it to make things interesting. Paddles like that do not happen often. Luckily for me, the next day brought more of the same thing.

On day two I re-entered the water at Milford and headed this time down to Goodyear Lake. I chose to avoid the portage around the dam there and instead headed to the southeast side of the lake where a DEC fishing access spot exists. This proved to be a great idea and helped make my whole experience on the Susquehanna most memorable.

No comments: