Monday, May 31, 2010

SPOT Messenger

I've been playing around with a new piece of gear lately... a SPOT Messenger. Specifically, the SPOT 2 Messenger. With all of the paddling I'll be doing in places I've never been before (and don't know what to expect) it seemed like a good idea. Heck, if it's good enough for Survivorman, it's got to be good for me, right?

Seriously, though, I do think it'll work OK for me. I always leave a basic "float plan" with my wife before I head out, and always call her right before I head out on the water. I try to call her every couple of hours after that, and defintely once I am back in my Jeep after paddling. What the SPOT does is let me send her a quick message ("I'm on the water and am OK" or "I'm out of the water and am in my Jeep") that will let her know I'm fine. We've had some close calls in the past where I had forgotten to call or had no cell service, leaving her worried and looking up the phone # of the local Coasties. My hope is that my new SPOT will prevent that.

I had read some different reviews of the original SPOT Messenger, more than a few of which were troublesome. The SPOT 2 seems to be much improved from the original, although it did have its own little problem with its batteries, warranting a recall. There have also been some reports of failed messages, difficulty with reception, etc. Although I've only used my SPOT once on the water, it performed flawlessly, under cloudy, overcast skies. I am very optimistic that it will continue to serve me well in the future. Of course, I'll report back from time to time as it gets more use. But, I do think it'll remain a valuable piece of paddling gear.

No comments: